As a small, locally owned business we are proud to give back to the communities that give us their support. If you have a community organization that needs donations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We give back in the following ways:
Zero Waste Program
- Created a free section where customers can pick up leftover grower pots, spray bottles, saucers, hangers, and packing supplies instead of throwing them in the dumpster.
- Created an Instagram account, @throwinglessaway where we post items like wooden pallets or broken pots that are up for grabs.
- Started a Zero Waste workshop series with Cindy Villaseñor, Enrich LA garden ranger and low waste lifestyle advocate. Topics include Zero Waste for Imperfectionists, Holiday Ideas, and more planned for the future.
Supporting Schools and Teachers
- Donated an avocado tree and two grevillea trees to PUC CALS Early College High School for their new garden program March 5, 2020
- Donated a 15gal Avocado tree and landscape plants to Segray Preschool in Eagle Rock February 2020.
- San Pascual STEAM Magnet Beautification Day - Donated drought-tolerant outdoor plants November 2019
- Offered a 20% Back to School discount to teachers and educators for the entire month of August 2019. We are proud to support the classrooms of: Cindy from Enrich LA, Kristen from Aspire Gateway Academy, Catrina from Enrich LA, Harrison from Extera Public Schools, Adrienne from Extera Public Schools, Tammy from Dixie Canyon School, Sandra from Aspire Gateway in South Gate,, Amy from Eagle Rock Elementary, Michelle from Sierra Canyon K-12.
- Delevan Drive Elementary - Donated a 74 gallon composter to the school garden July 11, 2019
- Friends of Mount Washington charity auction - Donated a Fiddle Leaf Fig and basket to benefit Mount Washington Elementary - May 4, 2019
- PUC CALS Early College High School - Donated outdoor plants for Campus Beautification March 30, 2019
- Enrich LA - Helping to green LA schools. Donated surplus seed stock from 2018 for school gardens, donated tomato cages end of 2018
- Eagle Rock Elementary School planter boxes - donated outdoor plants November 2018
- Eagle Rock High School "Clean Up the Rock" event - donated outdoor plants November 2018
Supporting the Local Economy
- Our macrame hangers are made from 100% organic cotton by Perennial Parenthood, owned and operated by Samantha Henderson and her mother
- Our mounted plants including hoyas, staghorn ferns, and philodendrons are made in Los Angeles by Joyce Chung and made from reclaimed wood discarded by a local furniture company.
- Most of our indoor and all of our outdoor plants are grown in Southern California. Those indoor plants that are not locally grown are all USA grown.
- A portion of our outdoor plants are locally grown in Ventura by Growing Works, a wholesale plant nursery that is the site for a vocational training program run by Turning Point Foundation. The program assists people with mental health challenges on a path to wellness with horticultural therapy, employment, and future job placement in the workforce.
Nonprofits and Charities
- Stand Up for Immigrant Rights - Donating a succulent arrangement to the Esperanza Project for Immigrant Rights' fundraising auction July 20, 2019. More info here.
- Queer Oasis garden at Mi Centro LGBTQ center in Boyle Heights - Donated plant material for their garden July 13,2010
- June 15, 2019 we hosted our first fundraiser for the Latino Equality Alliance/Mi Centro and raised $300 from ticket sales. LEA is a nonprofit with a focus on family acceptance, LGBT equality, and immigration reform. Mi Centro provides bilingual social services to LGBT Latinxs on the Eastside and neighboring communities. More info here.
- Donating a $30 gift card for a clothing swap and silent auction at One Down Dog in Eagle Rock December 14th organized by local moms.
- Montecito Heights Garden Tour 2019 Sponsor - donated three agave plants for the raffle March 29, 2019